Live for today, learning from yesterdays mistakes so that you don't make them tomorrow.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm BAAAAAAAACK!

Hey, what do you know, I needed a space to voice my ideas for a classroom activity and this is the first place I thought of coming to :)

I have a 1st yr subject that I teach (Applied Anatomy) in which students are taught to identify specific bony and soft tissue structures on each other as well as on x-rays. After 9 sessions, I have now started preparing for the final revision session of this particular subject. The thing is, I've tried different methods of engaging with the students, but it gets kind of difficult to help 56 people in the few hours we have for each lecture. It even went so far, that I had a revision session in which I divided up the class into three groups and ended up spending 6 hours straight teaching!

Now my mind tells me that I should do something totally different, if only to ensure that the revision session makes the work stick in their minds.
My idea is to do one of two things:
1. Surface anatomy charades/30-seconds (students have 30 seconds in which to describe a structure, the name of which they will draw out of a box/hat, and by identifying the structure on their team members in the 30 seconds provided, they will move forward on the game board. I will then confirm that they are correct at the end of the game by going back to the class slides.

OR

2. Write the names of different structures onto post-it strips. Stick these strips onto each students head. Students then try to identify what structure they have stuck to their head by asking a fellow classmate to identify the structure on their body.

I've got a few days left before the class, so hopefully I'll figure it out SOON!

Happy Learning!

Annie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lianne
    I LIKE your idea of charades. In fact Theresa Wossler (Biology) has done similar thing and it has been very successful. Quite abit of work, but worth it.
    Remember to videotape some of it as it makes for great (fun) footage of the whole affair. Students can be in teams competing against each other.
    Laat waai
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice JP! I'm going to go ahead with it, just takes quite a bit of time to set up but hopefully it'll be worth it! Will definitely try to video some of it :)

    ReplyDelete