Live for today, learning from yesterdays mistakes so that you don't make them tomorrow.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Putting the "P" in PBL

So as with most of my assignments I'm once again using our hybrid-PBL module as my playground for this module assignment. As I'm already doing my thesis on the module, I've found a number of problems/areas that could be addressed to make the module more user-friendly. The issue I'm faced with though is that the majority of our staff-compliment are fairly resistant (to put it lightly) to any form of E-learning....maybe as a result of the fear of the unknown.

So now, in analyzing my proposed topic, I've come to a few conclusions:
  1. This needs to be done on a VERY small scale to make the introduction of e-learning as problem-free as possible.
  2. This cannot be initially implemented directly into the PBL module due to time and resource limitations.
  3. A much smaller group of students (than the 30 enrolled in the module) will have to be part of the initial project.
  4. Initial literature searches support using multi-media in PBL for improved/increased transferrability of learning, this means that I'll need to summarize this literature in order to make a presentation to staff and students to sell them on the idea.

So, that's where I am right now on putting the "P" or problems into perspective in terms of using a PBL format for my e-learning experience.

The journey continues......

Li

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhh - I like your blog design :-) I also played around last night and it was so much fun! Once I'd played around with the design, my husband showed me how to use Google Reader to keep track of all the MPhil blogs. I also started trying out something called draft.blogger.com. The amount of detail was a little overwhelming, but seems to allow a greater formatting ability.

    Back to ADDIE - I like your problem-based learning approach to the A in ADDIE. It makes a lot of sense. I can however understand the resistance and the importance of KIS in whatever you decide to embark on. I agree that it is key to the success of the module.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ur input....I actually almost started another blog now with the title EUREKA!!!! I have found the tool to use for my idea and now it's just a matter of applying my mind and gaining more understanding before moving on to the "D" in ADDIE.

    Looks like we're moving in the right direction now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now you have me VERY interested! Hopefully this "tool" will be revealed somewhere in the not too distant future!

    Like how ADDIE and other thought systems are now interconnecting. Explaining "P" = A in ADDIE...

    Oh, and I also like your blog design (a lot actually!)

    JP

    ReplyDelete